- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Sports Injury Treatment with your West Valley City Chiropractor
It's not unusual for professional sports teams to have doctors of chiropractic on hand in order to help their competitors. At Peterson Chiropractic in West Valley, UT, we offer a range of services and techniques which can be fully customized to athletes of all ages and ability levels.
Common Sports Injuries Treated by Our West Valley Chiropractor
Even the best athletes are at risk for sports injury. Common factors include over-training, inadequate recovery, poor nutrition/hydration, hidden strength and mobility limitations, poor technique, ill-fitting or improper equipment and playing surface. Even accidents such as collisions, slips, and falls can happen, too.
Such factors may lead to injuries like:
- Muscle strains and tears (we see this a lot in the rotator cuff, quadriceps, and hamstrings)
- Tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, epicondylitis, and other types of chronic inflammation
- Joint and ligament sprains/dislocations (common in the ankle, shoulder, knee, elbow)
- Runner's knee (wearing down in the space between the kneecap and knee)
Symptoms range depending on the severity and stage of the injury. Swelling, redness, warmth, and pain are common early on. If the injury becomes more chronic, it can lead to weakness, pain, muscle atrophy, instability, scarring, and movement restrictions.
Common Examples of Sports Injury Treatment in Chiropractic Care
The services used by our Peterson Chiropractic team are excellent for people struggling with a sports injury. In addition to relieving pain and other symptoms, our sports injury treatment also helps patients understand what caused their injury in the first place so they can avoid recurring problems in the future.
Common techniques include:
- Graston technique: a tool-assisted way to break up adhesions and stimulate blood flow
- Active Release Technique: like "massage plus movement," this helps increase range of motion, reduce pain, and relieve connective tissue tension
- Kinesiotaping: specialized tape over injured areas increases nearby blood flow, reduces swelling, and provides support and proprioceptive feedback to improve positioning
- Individualized exercises: prescribed for everything from tissue healing to flexibility to strengthening
We also offer spinal adjustments to re-balance the athlete's entire spine and nervous system and nutritional counseling to amplify healing from the inside out.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Athletes Goes BEYOND Sports Injury Prevention
Why chiropractic? Chiropractic care relieves sports injury pain and dysfunction with minimal downtime and no drugs through the use of holistic and natural services. Additionally, our services help patients prevent sports injury by maximizing range of motion, strength, coordination, and body awareness!